Make Salads a Gradual Lifestyle Change. Have you had your salad today? Eating salad almost every day may be one of the most healthy eating habits you can adopt — and one of the simplest salads are naturally low in calories and often too low to be a meal. While they are good for you, they are all delicious. Fresh, raw, vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, and fiber. By choosing salad for a meal at least three times per week and work up to including salad every day. Not only will your waistline shrink, but your cholesterol and blood pressure levels may also decrease thanks to all the colorful and fiber-rich veggies you’ll be eating
Salads are cool, crunchy, and fun to eat (lots of textures, colors, and flavors). Most people enjoy eating Salads–even kids! Whatever they say, salads are one of the most popular dishes be it a restaurant, a dinner party or any other occasions. This is because salads are healthy dishes with an abundance of different ingredients and there are many salad recipes readily available. Salad recipes can encompass so many different ingredients including regular everyday fruits and vegetables to exotic ones. Salad recipes can also include different meats, seafood, and even tofu.
The popularity of salads is already pretty big and will continue to grow as the obesity problem continues to grow. But weight loss isn’t the only reason why you should have salads there are many more, like:
- Salads are simply delicious. Anyone who has eaten salads knows that it is a great way to mix completely different kinds of foods, textures and flavors in one meal. In salads one can mix green crunchy leaves (spinach, lettuce, cabbage, etc), nuts (almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, etc.), cereals (boiled corn, beans, peas, etc), boiled lentils (black chana, rajmah, etc), herbs(,tulsi oregano, mint,etc), even some proteins like boiled eggs or chicken and toss it with a salad dressing of honey, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar. For those who have a sweet tooth you can also add raisins, apricots, Prunes, fig, etc.
- Salads are very filling. Once you add ingredients like potato, pasta, beans, corn or egg, it is a complete meal in itself. Eating a salad besides being very refreshing is also very fulfilling.
- Salads are healthy! It has fiber to keep the constipation and diseases away. It is loaded with enzymes which keep you looking very young. It is full of vitamins and minerals due to the nuts and greens. It has medicinal properties due to the fresh herbs. Dry fruits like raisin, apricots prunes, and figs, when added the added health benefit of green salad is that they are raw which can help you reduce cancer risk.
- Salads are ideal for people who do not like to eat a heavy lunch or dinner because it makes them feel overstuffed, lethargic or lazy. Therefore, they can make a great choice by having salads as it would at least keep them awake after eating to conduct the business.
- Salads are incredibly easy to make. It is very easy to make salad. Anyone can prepare it in minutes.
- Eat Salads for the Fiber It’s hard to believe that something we can’t even digest can be so good for us! Eating a high-fiber diet can help lower cholesterol levels and prevent constipation.
- Eat Salads for the Health Benefits of Fruits and Vegetables If you frequently eat green salads, you’ll likely have higher blood levels of a host of powerful antioxidants like vitamin C and E, folic acid, lycopene, and alpha- and beta-carotene, especially if your salad includes some raw vegetables. Antioxidants are substances that help protect the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals.
- Eat Salads to Cut Calories and Increase Satisfaction If losing weight is your goal, you may want to start your meals with a green salad. Studies have shown that eating a low-calorie first course, like a green salad of 150 calories or less enhances feelings of fullness and reduces the total number of calories eaten during the meal.
Because of all these reasons, next time at a restaurant or even hosting a party at home, definitely go with the salad as a side or main dish.